Transparent and clear
Zoe offers a free initial consultation by telephone to assess whether she can assist with your matter or to answer any initial questions.
Zoe’s time is charged at £325 per hour excluding VAT. However, concessions and discounts may be offered to charities, start-ups and individuals of limited means.
Fixed fees may be offered on certain kinds of work and no-win-no-fee arrangements may be agreed on a case by case basis.
VAT is payable on our fees and Counsel’s fees at the prevailing rate which is currently 20%.
Fixed fees are usually paid in relation to the following types of work:
Basic/Multiple: £350 – 500 excluding VAT
Standard: £500 – 1000 excluding VAT
Complex: £1000 – 5000 excluding VAT
Please note that this does not include advice on ancillary documents such as share/share options and other award schemes or post termination restrictions the charges for which are referred to below.
Of Employment / Workers Agreements / Consultancy Agreements / Employment Policies
Simple: £350 – £500 excluding VAT
Medium: £500 – £750 excluding VAT
Complex: £750 – £2500 excluding VAT
Basic: £750 – £1000 excluding VAT
Medium: £1000 – £1500 excluding VAT
Complex: £1500 – £3000 excluding VAT
Simple: £500 – £750 excluding VAT
Medium: £750 – £1000 excluding VAT
Complex: £1000 – £2500 excluding VAT
Simple case: £3000 – £10,000 (excluding VAT)
Medium complexity case: £10,000 – £20,000(excluding VAT)
High complexity case: £20,000 – £50,000 (excluding VAT)
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of £1000/£1500 per day (excluding VAT) if we attend. Generally, we would allow 3 – 10 days depending on the complexity of your case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. These must be paid directly by you as we do not hold a client account.
Counsel’s fees estimated between £1000 to £2500 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation). Counsel will also be paid a brief fee of £1500 – £10,000 excluding VAT depending on the complexity of your case and time spent by Counsel reading into your case and preparing it for the hearing.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This may be arranged based on your individual needs.
If your case includes a claim of discrimination, whistleblowing or any other matter, which will require further evidence, more complex advice and/or a lengthier trial the pricing is as follows:
Simple: £5,000 – £15,000 excluding VAT
Medium: £15,000 – £25,000 excluding VAT
Complex: £25,000 – £60,000 excluding VAT
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 4 -8 weeks.
If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 26 – 52 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
If you have home contents or buildings insurance you should check and see whether you have legal expense insurance as part of the policy. You have the right to choose your solicitor and so if your insurer tries to compel you to use a solicitor from their panel please refer them to us and we will challenge them on this point and insist that you can continue to use this firm if you so wish.
If you have home contents or buildings insurance you should check and see whether you have legal expense insurance as part of the policy. You have the right to choose your solicitor and so if your insurer tries to compel you to use a solicitor from their panel please refer them to us and we will challenge them on this point and insist that you can continue to use this firm if you so wish. If you do have insurance we may be able to fund your claim under the terms of the policy. If you have either contents or buildings insurance please provide a copy of the policy in so that we can review the terms with you and see if cover might be available. If you have another kind of legal expense insurance cover please also provide a copy of the policy so that I can review it with you to see if cover is available. The policy is likely to only cover you from the time we issue proceedings, so any work carried out by the practice before this will still have to be paid on a private hourly basis. You will need to check this with your insurer.
We currently do not offer no-win-no-fee funding arrangements.